Tuesday, May 17, 2011

OPI Black Shatter

I bought a bottle of OPI's Black Shatter nail polish the other day.  It's been available for a while but I hadn't been able to find it until recently.  It's a bit hard to get used to, so I thought I'd do a quick review.

It doesn't work at all over dark colors in my opinion; I tried it over a dark purple & it did nothing for me (I'm looking forward to the silver version that's coming out soon though).  It also doesn't work over a topcoat.  When you paint it on it kind of shrinks & turns into little blobby-crackly shapes & it doesn't seem to separate as well, just getting streaky instead.

I went for a bright color underneath so I'd actually be able to see the black on top:


This is OPI's Cajun Shrimp, which I love.  It's a little more orange than it looks in the picture, but it definitely falls somewhere on the pinker/redder side of orange.

Once my color was dry I painted on the Black Shatter.  You have to have a decent amount on the brush.  It dries really, really fast & if your first stroke starts to dry when you put on the second stroke, it will stick all together & get messy.  It also seems like the more you put on, the better it breaks up into chunks.


I did my index finger next to last & you can tell that I was getting better at it!  The finish of the shatter stuff is pretty matte, so I added a shiny topcoat:

I should have thought to put a matte topcoat on one finger just to see how it looks, but I didn't!  The black parts are a little lumpy and bumpy, which is really visible in the shine of the topcoat.  A matte finish might actually be better for this.

I would like it if the cracks in the polish would be bigger so that more of the color could peek through...I think that I need to keep practicing the application.  This is definitely a nice way to change it up if you're tired of plain color, although it's definitely a pretty casual look.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment